Incident in Ogilvy*

*hamlet est. 1795 in modern-day British Colombia. Pop. at time of most recent census to the incident: 48.

January 24th, 1845: Abigail Wentworth(14) complains of abdominal cramps. Her mother, Helen Wentworth, believes it to be the onset of menarche. Wilbur Marks (21) is taken as a temporary hand to aid in the sorghum harvest of nearby Mollet farm.

January 26th, 1845: When Abigail complains of worsening pain, her mother takes her to a doctor in  local Fort Huntley. The doctor finds Abigail to be sixteen weeks pregnant. The Reverend Harold Brown claims to his congregation to have found a tooth in his stool, blaming nearby secret witchcraft ceremonies. The Mollet family, French immigrants from the Limousin region, find an entire head of sheep skinned in their pasture.

January 29th, 1845: Helen, against the advice of her husband, takes Abigail to be faith-healed by the reverend. Rev. Brown finds that the girl’s virginity is seemingly intact, proclaiming an immaculate conception. Wilbur Marks is questioned in the recent massacre of sheep, the village’s only constable fractures his tibia in the process.

February 5th, 1845: James Wentworth becomes concerned with his wife’s increasing reliance on faith healers, questioning for her mental condition. Abigail is reported at this point to have been suffering from vaginal bleeding for an undetermined amount of time following a treatment at the hands of a local herbalist. The local pub owner, Edmund Tawles, has what is most likely an epileptic seizure in his bar’s cellar, claiming to have seen a devil figure. Wilbur Marks is found by two local trappers slowly torturing a silver fox from one of their traps. Upon discovery he flees, wearing the fox’s intestines like a necklace.

February 6th, 1845: The Wentworth’s elder son James Jr. (19) is woken in the early morning by a noise. He discovers a man in their parlor but cannot make out his features in the dark. Wentworth calls out, believing it to be his father, only be become alarmed when the figure appears to bend “the wrong way” to look at him. Wentworth turns to fetch the fire poker and is attacked from behind. The ensuing struggle wakes the entire household, evidently frightening the figure away as James Jr. is alone when his father finds his unconscious body. Everyone in the household is present at the scene except Abigail, who is bedridden.

February 7th, 1845: When the elder James takes his son to Ft. Huntley for treatment, the Reverend Brown is seen making a call to the Wentworth home not too long after his departure. Brown moves into the house later that day, praising Mrs. Wentworth and announcing she would prosper with a “real” man in their household.

February 10th, 1845: James Jr. is in critical condition and must be taken to the larger town of Hilborough for surgery. Wentworth sends a note to his cousin, Norman Erles, asking him to “look after Helen and Abbie while I’m gon[sic].” Several local farmers begin construction on an unknown structure at the bequest of the reverend, in a field isolated from the township by a small wooded area.

February 15th, 1845: Rev. Brown gives an unusual sermon to his congregation, the diary of one John Baldwin describes him as using strange, un-biblical imagery, making reference “the thousand-faced sphinx,” and “the great eye of the desert.” He closes the sermon by summoning Abigail Wentworth to the pulpit and stripping her, encouraging villagers to shame her an her swelling belly, calling her “a glass Salome.” Mrs. Wentworth is absent for the service.

February 16th, 1845: Several concerned neighbors make a trip to the Wentworth’s home. Helen Wentworth is described as “ill-humoured” and not acting like herself. She vehemently refuses to hear a word against the reverend, insisting that he was the only one who knew how to treat what she now referred to  as her daughter’s “apostasy.” when inquired about her husband she seems confused, and does not remember his name.

February 19th, 1845: Wilbur Marks found naked in the Mollet’s haystack. He shows signs of recent sexual intercourse, and there is blood on his genitalia. When confronted by Mollet and the senior farmhand, Marks flees towards the structure. Norman Earles wires his cousin, advising Wentworth to return as soon as possible.

February 21st, 1845: Various sightings of Marks occur throughout the village on this day, along with witnesses of various phenomena. Cisterns appear to bleed, fires burn poorly and their smoke stings the eye. Rev. Brown gives a sermon to an empty church.

February 25th, 1845: Norman Earles found dead in his bed. His wife, Leona, is found asleep at the table, snoring with a strange, upsetting volume. When woken, she appears to have suffered brain damage. Gas lamps in the house burn with a green corona when lit. Abigail Wentworth knocks on a neighboring farmhouse, imploring the woman inside to “please save her.” Mrs. Wentworth arrives soon afterward to collect her daughter, laughing off concerns and assuring the neighbor that Abigail was fine, her grandfather had been looking after her. Helen Wentworth’s father had been dead 15 years by this time.

February 29th, 1845: Several houses of the township catch fire. Rev. Brown blames nearby First Nations tribe and offers the use of a temporary lodge erected at the nearby construction site as a shelter. Villagers are suspicious of this explanation, as they have always enjoyed good trade relations with them, but accept his offer. Villagers who sleep in the lodge complain of an acrid smell and nosebleeds.

March 3rd, 1845: James Wentworth arrives at Ft. Huntley, leaving his son to rehabilitate at the hospital. He gathers up a contingency of local farmers and army officers and marches on to Ogilvy. They find the town nearly deserted and many buildings charred ruins. Upon knocking on his front door, Wentworth is greeted by his younger son Peter(7) who is unresponsive and shows signs of mental deterioration. No other family members evident. Marks is discovered in a crude lean-to constructed in the Wentworth’s woodpile, nude save for a loincloth later determined to be human skin. The group detain Marks, who strikes them as behaving oddly, and look for the townsfolk. They stumble upon the construction, along with the lodge, both empty. Suddenly a deputy spies what he describes as a gnat cloud coming from the mouth of the structure. Details of the next few minutes are scarce as the group suffered a mass fainting spell. Some claim violent hallucinations. A third of their party expires, including Wentworth and his young son. The surviving members flee to Ft. Huntley.

March 10th, 1845: Marks is in solitary confinement after unsuccessful questioning regarding the town’s fate. A medical examination finds him to have a mental age of ten. Ft. Huntley inhabitants complain of “ghost fires” over in the direction of the village.

March 13th, 1845: Superior Officer of Ft. Huntley, Major Alfred Newcomb, mounts another expedition to Ogilvy. The officers who were on the first expedition display signs of PTSD and erratic behavior, but are not replaced. 1.5 kilometers outside of town, they find Abigail Wentworth tied to a black walnut tree in a ritualistic fashion, her stomach appearing deflated as if a large mass had recently been removed from it. Attempts to free her from the tree only end up removing portions of her skin as she is covered with an unknown substance that shellacks her to the tree. Abigail appears incoherent, alternately vocalizing and asking for her mother . The party finally abandons its attempts to save her, promising to return once they have dealt with the township, Abigail remains unresponsive. Upon entry into the village, they find a small number of completely housebound residents and the bodies of the Mollet family erected in the village square, Leonard Mollet(17)  missing his skin. The officers warn the remaining residents to leave town, but are overcome by a foetid smell 3 km away from the structure. The return journey makes a detour to Abigail’s tree, where she is still unresponsive. The Major sets up a watch duty for her. Population est. 30.

March 15th, 1845: Several unsuccessful attempts to remove Abigail from the tree. Watch is abandoned after Private Nyby goes missing in the night. Three Ogilvy families, suffering from scurvy and malnourishment, arrive at Ft. Huntley. Medical exams find inexplicable wounds on the soles of their feet. Several women are treated for severe bleeding.

March 19th, 1845: Marks alludes to knowing Abigail Wentworth and is interrogated for six hours. Marks offers up a confession, and Major Newcomb leaves Sargent James Berry in charge of Marks while he gets the necessary papers. When Newcomb returns, he finds Marks hung in a brutal, ritualistic fashion. Upon questioning, Sgt. Berry insists that Newcomb ordered the execution of Marks before leaving the room, becoming belligerent at continued questioning and finally assaulting Newcomb. Berry is detained by two other officers. Mark’s body is sent to Hilborough for examination.

March 25th, 1845: Abigail Wentworth dies. Her body gains an empty, sock-like appearance.

March 27th, 1845: Coronary results arrive. Mark’s internal organs are hardened from some unknown chemical, his body appearing to “self-mummify” in the air. Five more families arrive from Ogilvy, population est. 25. All are deeply malnourished. A few show signs of knife wounds, they describe a struggle to stave off cannibalistic neighbors.

April 1st, 1845: The biggest “ghost fire” sighting yet erupts over the skies of Ogilvy. The Amos, Jacobs, and Gardner family attempt escape from the township, most sustain third-degree burns. Three adults and one child survive. Est. population unknown. The fire burns for five days.

June 15th, 1845: A group of Québécois fur trappers come across a man calling himself “Harry Thompson” traveling on a country road. He alludes to being a priest, but his odd mannerisms and feral state of dress alarm the trappers. He offers to pay them in gold for a ride and a meal, but pulls out slags of a ferrous metal that smell rancid to them, and they politely refuse. He offers to travel beside them, to which they agree. His erratic behavior continues to alarm them, until they sit down for supper and the traveler pulles out a bag of human teeth. The trapper’s alarm frightens him and he flees, leaving his leather traveling sack behind. The sack is found to contain several crude surgical tools made from bone and a finger belonging to a young girl. Descriptions of the man match Rev. Brown almost exactly.

September 21st, 1845: Wilbur Mark’s body is exhumed and found to be in a preserved state. His body is cremated and his ashes scattered in the hills.

August 9th, 1856: A trapper stumbles into the cleared ruins of Ogilvy. There is no sign of human or animal habitation. The trapper leaves to gather a contingency of Ft. Huntley residents to explore the ruins, but they are overcome by an acrid odor 500 feet from the clearing. Any further contact with Ogilvy is officially discouraged by Ft. Huntley government. Ogilvy population est. 0.


Leave a comment

Filed under fiction

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s